A Post, Post-Modern Approach to Resolving Painful Emotions
With Yvonne Dolan
This workshop will answer the following questions and more:
How does one work effectively with vague clients who are unable to identify their feelings?
How can we help clients who describe themselves as being at the mercy of mood swings and impulses?
How can therapists make a space for clients to speak about painful or difficult life experiences as needed without inadvertently eliciting “false memories” ?
How to respectfully acknowledge painful emotions without worsening their impact and symptomatic effects ?
How can therapists work effectively with clients who exhibit “all or nothing” perceptions, emotions, and behaviors?
This workshop will demonstrate how a brief, practical solution-focused approach can be respectfully utilized to acknowledge, address and resolve significant emotional problems with a wide variety of client populations. Special emphasis given to participants’ caseloads and the treatment environments in which they work. Techniques will be illustrated with case examples, demonstrations and “hands-on” practice exercises.
Learning Objectives for A Post, Post-Modern Approach to Working With Emotion
- Participants will be able to describe a technique for reducing intensity negative moods
- Participants will be able to describe 2 techniques for eliciting feelings of hope
- Participant will be able to describe a technique to help clients experience psychological stability and calm while experiencing and coping with with difficult or painful emotions
- Participants will be able to list at least 2 techniques for transforming problems and complaints into practical and measurable therapeutic goals
- Participants will be able to describe a protocol for relapse prevention in times of despair
- Participants will be able to describe at least 1 SF technique for addressing and enhancing self relations
For more information, contact Yvonne Dolan, email@example.com
Institute for Solution-Focused Therapy, PO Box 9261, Highland, IN 46322, phone & fax 708-782-2021